Monday, February 17, 2014

Porto Rican Folklore

Although there were quite a few allusions that I wasn't familiar with, I enjoyed reading the piece by Peter. J. Hamilton. I found it to be very interesting and informative.  What I found to be most interesting was the diversity in the culture, belief, symbolism and folklore that exists on one island. Many tales are presented in the piece my favorite by far is the one that explains why the dog, cat and rat don’t get along. I feel that it represents the very essence of folklore, explanations within a culture for the way things are in nature. It shows how a simple tale can be so telling of a certain group’s values and principles. Hamilton’s very detailed description of the Porto Rican culture generates a sense of homeliness, no matter who the reader. It gets one thinking of his/her own customs and beliefs.  Another thing that caught my attention was that two of the beliefs/superstitions mentioned in the piece are ones I heard growing up: killing white spiders is bad luck, and dreams present the reverse of what is to happen in the future, this proves that different cultures can have very similar superstitions.  Hamilton’s work also gives insight on the background of the folklore presented in the Three Wishes, like how he speaks of the origin of  witches in Porto Rican folklore. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I definitely agree with your reaction to Hamilton's text, what with it being highly intersting and informative but riddled with instances of tricky sentences/wording. It really was enlightening to read about the history of Porto Rico and how it relates to folklore, because it directly ties in to certain tales such as "Witch's Skin."

    Overall, I enjoyed the read, it was highly informational albeit littered with certain rough patches of writing, and I also learned a lot about the island's culture/history from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aviva,

    I agree that Hamilton's gives background information on the folktales presented in Three Wishes. I like how witches were explained a lot and then we actually got to read a folktale with witches in it. It gave a better understanding of the subject.

    ReplyDelete