Tuesday, March 18, 2014

American Born Chinese

I found the graphic novel by Gene Luen Yang to be very cute , and funny. Some aspects of it like the cloud used as a means of transportation , reminded me of a show I watched as a kid called Dragon Ball Z . I was at first having trouble figuring out how the contents of the novel relate to the title American Born Chinese. 
I do have one theory , I was thinking maybe the monkey king represents the American born Chinese and the novel portrays how he is trying to fit and changes his ways to fit in with the deities. one example of his changing his ways when he makes the rest of the monkeys wear shoes because shoes were the reason he wasn't allowed into the dinner party. I also liked how only when he returned to the monkeys did he notice the fur smell that he lived with all his life , differentiating him from the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment