Monday, March 24, 2014

Graphic Memoirs Come of Age

In Graphic Memoirs Come of Age, William Bradley offers his interpretation on the labeling of graphic works. Bradley offers a lucid argument as to why using the term graphic novel to describe works that are nonfiction is not appropriate. I like that Bradley uses many examples to support and strength his argument. Although unfamiliar with the works he discusses I was able to follow along with what Bradley was trying to prove. I think that in the text Bradley is very clear in his analysis of the elements necessary to call something graphic memoir, or “essayistic” graphic memoir, especially when he discusses Alison Bechdel’s, Are You My Mother?. He explains that Bechdel’s work is more of an analysis of her thoughts and influences, as opposed to a clear narrative. In making that distinction Bradley states that Are You My Mother? cannot be in the same category and labeled like other graphic memoirs. Bradley continues to say that, because are you my mother is in a different category of graphic works, it cannot be compared to other works that are classified differently. 

            Before having read Graphic Memoirs Come of Age I hadn't really thought about how important it actually is to properly categorize writing and not just bundle together texts. Honestly I think falsely categorizing a piece of writing, strips it of its individuality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment