Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Latino USA

What a piece! Ilan Stavan's foreword of Latino USA: A Cartoon History is the most descriptive piece of writing we have read this semester. At least I think so. Although I found myself not being familiar with quite a few of the words he uses, I actually enjoyed reading the piece. Stavan’s doesn't wait long to express his feeling towards those who belittle comic strips. His sarcastic tone constantly shines through the text. One sentence I like in particular “this bastard nature of pop art, which supposedly underlined the abysmal ignorance of the masses...”  His strong, vivid and specific word choice is what makes this piece so fun to read. His writing style is one I would like to try to emulate. As for the actual topic, it was a very interesting way to look at a culture. Through the works Stavan's says are read by the people, the readers get a glimpse at what the culture is like, what the people there are like.

4 comments:

  1. Aviva,

    I really liked that sarcastic tone Stavan's used. I agree that his use of vivid language makes this piece really fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aviva
    I also liked Stavans' use of sarcasm to present his point. I think that his use of sarcasm helps strengthen his opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked how Stavan doesn't wait long to express his feeling towards those who belittle comic strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    I also feel like this is the most descriptive and detailed text we have read in class so far, definitely one of my favorites. Also, I admired his style of writing a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete